Monday, December 28, 2015

Gulliver Travel - from my perspectives

One of the finest writing of Jonathan Swift in which he emphasized the human weaknesses and follies.  It is the art of his writing which so beautifully depicts that though we are considered as human beings but in actuality, we are worse than animals.  

He expressed it very excellently and marvellously in the fourth part of Gulliver Travel in which he showed horses to be more civilized than human beings or Yahoos.  

The third part of this novel also expressed that we are just creating troubles for ourselves through inventing new things due to our impracticability.  Here, he talked about the Laputans who live in a floating Island.  

All of the people of that island are particularly philosophers and don't know the ground reality.  He also satirized the present education system which is quite impractical and far from reality.  In the third part of this novel he just wants to say that experience based understanding is better than knowledge-based or idle thinking.  He straightforwardly wants to say here that true knowledge lies in experience-based understanding based on ground reality.  This particular incident ignites my memories of one of my teacher who taught me during my B.Ed. and M.Ed. He always emphasises the concept of pragmatism and most of the teaching methods I am using these days is just his imitation and I imitate him because his way of teaching is based on practical experiences as he always tries to give us reality-based examples during his teaching. It is my belief that whatever I have learnt regarding teaching is due to him.  Dr Pargat Singh Garcha who is not only a source of inspiration for me rather his way of teaching always inspires me to be the teacher like him. So whenever, I read the third part of Gulliver Travel the image of Pargat Sir came in my mind and a silent smile reflects on my face.  

Perhaps it reflects that I am deeply motivated by him during my B.Ed. 

Thus the third part of Gulliver Travel showed that practical knowledge is more useful in comparison to the theoretical knowledge. 

When I shift to the second part of Gulliver Travel then it seems here Swift wants to tell us that we people are becoming completely materialistic as in the second part we have seen Gulliver in the prison of a farmer and later that farmer use him as a source of earning money which straightforwardly puts a question here that we are losing the feeling of empathy, love and compassion.  And the first part of this novel depicts that though we are civilized and great intellectual giants but when we are talking about universal brotherhood and benevolence then we become Lilliputians.  

Here he uses a symbol of lilliputians because he just wants to say that we are completely self-centred just like the king of lilliputians who tried to kill Gulliver when he refused the command of the king not to kill the people of his native island.  

But still, the benevolence and empathy of the king of the native island towards Gulliver reflect that we can improve ourselves as all of us are human beings.

Friends this is my interpretation of the novel Gulliver's Travel.  I hope you like it.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment